09 March 2011

Zona I

Today turned out to be really great. I'm so glad I took the time to go visit the kids in Zone I. I wasn't planning on doing a formal class, I just wanted to go spend time with the kids and show them that although classes are canceled, I still want to see them. There only ended up being three girls around, but it was still worth while. I taught a mini-lesson and then we chatted while coloring pictures. It was super sweet just to spend time with them relaxing and mindlessly coloring. One little girl even went home and came back with a glass of homemade limonada (lime-aid) for me--so thoughtful! These couple hours were absolutely worth staying behind today. When I was leaving, I heard some children yelling up on one of the steep hills. (This particular zone is situated on really steep hills--remember the scary "path of death" that I described in an earlier post, yeah, this is that zone!) So these kids recognize me and start yelling "Miss Lorena, Miss Lorena, Miss Lorena" and then came sprinting down this steep hill towards me. It was some of my favorite little girls, so I was really happy to catch them on the way out. They pulled it out of me to sing a few songs, and then they walked me part of the way back to the main road. It was quite funny because on the way back some boys starting laughing as we walked by. So I had the girls all wave goodbye and say "chao" and I said that we were off the the United States (in Spanish). Then a few of the boys run up to join us. So there I was with a pack of about 8 kids walking down the road, leaving Zone I. A woman walks by and asks (with a smile on her face) if I'm stealing the children-lol! Of course I eventually said my goodbye's and gave them a million more hugs. Now, I really can't wait until the next time I go back. They made my day =)

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome to hear about Lauren! You really are making an impact on those little children's lives! I'm really proud of you C:

    ReplyDelete